Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Andrew David Suster (Andy)

From El Camino Hospital - 8:00 PM

Wow what a different experience from the last one! For starters I am sitting in the hospital in Mountain View and they have Wi-Fi where I can access the Internet from Tania's hotel room - amazing! In stead of delivering at 2:00 in the morning and being tired for days, Tania delivered at 3:27 in the afternoon after a great night sleep. 15 hours of labour was reduced to 5 hours of labor and 1 hour 41 minutes of pushing was reduced to "just" 40. The staff were amazing and our midwife stayed an extra half hour after her shift (ended at 3:00) because she wanted to see the baby be born.


When we got back to the maternity hospital room (rather than delivery room) the staff were handing out freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, the TV had cable, the room was temperate and all was copacetic. In London we didn't have our own bathroom, the room had no air conditioning, the refrigerator in the room had a perpetual buzz, there were 3 TV stations (all crap) and I had to sleep on a blow up swimming pool air matress.

So how the name? Well Andrew was the great grandfather of Tania (her father's mother's dad was Andrew Novak - no relation to the now infamous columnist!). But we like Andy so we're going with that and he can change it to Andrew, Drew or even A. Diddy when he is older. David was the middle name of my grandfather (my mom's dad). And as much as I liked my grandfather, the name Harold just didn't make the cut even for a middle name.

So thus brings an end to the family's longest running negotiation in which Tania broke me in the 11th hour. Just kidding - I loved the name Andy. And I got the first round pick in the next baby draft. Jacob was a charm. He was totally sweet with the baby and didn't fuss at all when it was time to come home. He just announced, "see you tomorrow, Mommy, when we wake up from sleep."

Okay, I'm shagged. Over and out.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's so cute. It's exciting to see how a new baby looks and who he will resemble, but as we all saw with Jacob, he will end up changing SO much.

When he gets old enough to play with toys, you need to get him a Woody doll, from Toy Story, and he needs to write "Andy" on the bottom of the shoe, just like in the movie.

I can't wait to hear which nickname Aunt Jan and Uncle Allan will give this one.

Congratulations again! We can't wait to see him in person.

Love, JennyBill (said in the cute Jacob voice)

9:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WoW! Andy is darling and I love the name. Can't wait to fly up and spend time with Jake and Andy.

Tania, I will give you some time to recuperate. I am so happy that it was easier this delivery.
The next one will be a snap!
Love,
Bubbie

10:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats and Mazel Tov to the both of you.

Adrienne and I think the new baby resembles Bella. We're demanding a maternity test!

10:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mark and Tania! Andy is a beautiful little baby -- LOVE his name. Glad all went well.

12:28 AM

 
Blogger Allan Katzen said...

He is a beaut!!
Never saw a newborn so cute.
Take a look at his head,
I think I'll call him RED!

(must take after Aunt Jan)


Can't wait to see him.....
Love Aunt J and Uncle A

8:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suster Fam! Andy is BEAUTIFUL! Tania...you look great...awesome job. Mark...thanks for the updates...you should be a writer! Love to all...this is a very special time...HUGS!! :) Miss you all...can't wait to meet the new addition! I love the name Andy...I was Andy for my first 6 years of life.
Love, The Tidwell's

8:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is SOOOOOOOooooo cute (said in Katie Kandra voice).

Who knew that I married such a clairvoyant man! He is offering his predicitve powers to all other pregnant couples out there. Just call Jeff if you want to know what day you will give birth! He was adamant that the baby was coming on the 28th!

We can't wait to meet Andy...and maybe give him some cousins too :) Tania, as always you are a SUPERSTAR! I am so proud of you. Glad you and Mark are both enjoying the finer points of the American health system. Where are those chocolate chip cookies when I am on call in the hospital? Definitely don't see that kind of care on the wards where I work...

Love to all of you--Tania, Mark, Jake and Andy (and Papa and Kay-Mama too)

xoxoxo and Love,
Aunt "Kako" (in Jake voice) and Uncle Jeff

3:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, Yay, Yay! We are so happy for you guys. We were hoping for a nice British name like Nigel, but Andy does sound much better. And the photos are great - Tania looking beautiful & happy and Jacob being the proud big brother. Sending lots of love-
Katrina, Jeff, Big Jake and Ella

6:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea, sounds just like my hospital experience in Italy. Chocolate chip cookies? Are you kidding me? Such a great photo of Tania and her two boys. Glad the delivery went so well. I'm sure it wasn't easy but easier than last time is always better!

6:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
More blogs about suster.
More blogs about susterblog.