Saturday, March 25, 2006

Suburbia

Palo Alto ... The Beverly Hills of Northern California



So a friend of ours recently quoted this line about Palo Alto. Probably not very accurate in my opinion. Berverly Hills has always struck me as a bit glam and pretentious with everybody "dressed to the nines" (http://ask.yahoo.com/20031022.html). But Palo Alto is very sweatpants, baggy shirt, unkempt hair and baby spit-up on your shoulder. In fact, nothing alike except the housing prices.

I was speaking with a friend of mine who read the blog site a few times and asked why I had never posted a picture of where we were living so I just went outside for a couple of pictures. I know that they are a bit dark but I thought to do this at nearly 7:00 PM and I can't be bothered to wait until I remember during the day time. But I guess you can get the point from these shots.

And if you have any questions about my assessment of Palo Alto all you need to do is look at this picture of the dueling Volvo station wagons parked out in front of our house. Okay, I admit it, one of them is ours. But as Tania will tell you, "at least I'm not driving a minivan like 80% of the rest of Palo Alto." So our version of rebellion, breaking out, being "different" is driving a Volvo wagon. But with 2 kids what choice do you have? But I am not complaing about Palo Alto - we love it! It is upmarket, friendly, safe and great weather.

So what do I get for writing the family blog? Andy just rolled over for the first time ever and I missed it! And he did it 3 times. Actually, it's Jacob's fault for making me get him some milk. And just to be different than his brother - Andy rolled from his tummy to his back while Jacob did the reverse.

Got back from London on Wednesday afternoon. The Suster household went to pot in my absence or as Tania says it, "the curse of the Waverley house struck again." Kay had to be rushed back to the hospital last Sunday night with a haematoma and didn't return home until Thursday. So the Kandras had to cancel their flight home, which was scheduled for Thursday. I would say that maybe they just wanted to ride out the rest of the Winter in Palo Alto - but I'm sure that wouldn't be very funny - would it? Well, I can get away with it because I heard her comment recently that if she isn't careful she will be here to see Andy take his first steps. Kay is "home" now and resting. It certainly hasn't been a very pleasant 2006 for Kay. Nor has it been for Tania, I'm afraid to say. Tania's swelling of the joints hasn't gotten any better and the pain relief from the steriods wore off and she had the worst day I have seen on Thursday. So you can see what we mean about the curse.

Tania started a new drug recently called Prednisone. It didn't work well the first 2 days but after jacking up the dosage x4 relief seems to have kicked in. We managed to get a normal day out today walking around University Avenue, having lunch at California Pizza Kitchen and taking a stroll at the Stanford Mall. Let's hope this is a sign of things to come. Unfortunately due to the Kay/Tania issues we ended up having to cancel our trip to Solvang this weekend. We were supposed to be there to attend our friend Kristin's wedding. Hopefully we can work up our energy over the next couple of weeks so that we can travel to Sacramento to see the family for Passover.

Finally, thought I'd get some pictures up of the kids and a couple of shots of Tania (post Prednisone relief!). Remember you can scroll through photos below by pushing the double arrows to the right or by pushing "play" if you want it to run on its own - there are 26 pictures.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really hope that Tania is feeling better soon. I took prednisone in the first trimester of both my pregnancies. I hope it helps and they give you an official diagnosis! Tlak to you guy soon!

11:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Susters!!!

So much to catch up on, not least of all the wedding referenced above in this blog post. Well, it basically went off without a hitch (or is that with a hitch...?) but you were all very much missed. Got back from the honeymoon Thursday night, and would you believe I am off to London on Monday? Yep, my first day back at work! Uggh! And no Susters to visit this time, giving me even less reason to look forward to the trip. :( Love the blog - Tania, I'll call to check in ASAP! -- Love, KJ Hansen!

11:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
More blogs about suster.
More blogs about susterblog.